Tuesday 10 June 2008

Long Wet Ride Through The Jungle

Saturday started out fine but by 8am, June 7th was turning out to be a rainy, wet mess. It was also the 2nd Pedal Ubin for the year and 70-odd persons had signed up to cycle around our emerald isle. Most of us guides were thinking yeah right. As the only guide without any rain protection, I was selected to sit in a van if the need arose i.e. if some attendees decided not to rough it out rougher. Siva, environmental evangelist and one of the founders of Pedal Ubin, then reminded us that our obligations lay with the ever-wetter cyclists and not with those that chose not to brave the forces of nature.

By 830am, I was soaked to the core despite an ill-fitting polyethylene poncho. I was ok with the weather. I just didn't need my spare clothes and phone getting wet.

I partnered Ming Sheng who happened to cycle off with 6 brave souls in a jiffy. We covered much ground, from west and the German Girl Shrine to the north and the Noordin fig, and finally the adventurous group decided to do Chek Jawa in the east. That was a damn lot of cycling on multiple surfaces. By 1pm, both guides had to skidaddle out of the island and rejoin the ayam-penyet-eating rest on the Changi mainland. I had nasi ayam and a Nescafe to warm me up.

Next on the programme was a visit to Ivan and Tammy's home for a look-see, shower and ice-cream. And wrestling the shitzu Pinky. Woof. A Saturday afternoon well spent.

No comments: