Thursday 3 July 2008

Get To It You Lazy Ass

Procrastination is not good. But the funny thing it is easy to fall back into the P-trap. I dunno why. Well maybe I do. The classic cause is laziness. When a job seems too overwhelming, it seems all too easy to pass the buck or tell oneself that starting can wait another day. The fear of venturing up the mountain of Start Now.

This reminds of the time I put off doing my A-Maths homework during the June holidays of 1990. I remember cramming 8 chapters of work into a similar number of exercise books (remember them!) in one week. (I had a mad teacher who made us do every question in the 10-year series. She was mad but we all came out the better for it.)

This few days I have slept late because of a particularly wordy project at work that I have been 'researching and reading' about for a while. Those are euphemisms for 'putting off'. So I had to get going on it on Sunday and yet wanted to watch the Euro finals early Monday morning and yet had to drag the tired feet and eyes to work for an abundance of regular to suffocate under the guise of happy employment. I managed to batch out the deliverables. 3/7. Now 4 more to go.

There was a poster I found in one of the hostel rooms in NTU. Just white text on a red background. "The secret of staying ahead is starting now." Can't deny the wisdom of a poster.

Ok, ok, ok. Get to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

like being hot tempered.. easier said than done.
"all behaviour is meaningful"
perhaps u procrastinate, not so much because you are lazy, but because you really do not like to do what needs to be done. the next question is always about what about the job u need to do, you don't like?