Monday 2 November 2009

U2 webcast


Where were you when this was happening? I was about to have lunch. Instead I didn't really work, watched the concert through lunchtime and was famished at 230pm Singapore time. I remember reading about the concert being on Sunday and completely didn't realise it was Sunday West Coast of the US time. Thank goodness for Twitter and all the buzz the folks I'm following created about the concert. I believe the folks on the Internet had the best seats in the house! The streaming was clear and relatively faultless. Youtube did a great job beaming it across live. The power of Akamai.

I know U2 is a rather politically-inclined band but the concert at the Rose Bowl too became a platform for their messages, perhaps too much of it was skewed to make concert goers (viewers) think. Are all of them like that? Mandela, Aung Sun Suu Kyi, Martin Luther King, Archbishop Tutu - all somehow made an appearance. Bono declared Stephen Gately was gone too soon. And did a line from 'You will never walk alone' that brought a smidgen of a tear to my left eye.

I had to stay late that evening for the 2 hours of semi-work that afternoon. Not a bad trade.

No comments: