Sunday 2 May 2010

Foolish Football

This evening I saw live football on TV because Starhub felt like rewardng everyone for not complaining too much about the channel number changes. Might as well take advantage of the temporary kindheartedness.

The football match to watch was Liverpool versus Chelsea. I am a Liverpool supporter and I dare not apply the word fan because I don't have the sufficient passion to carry on with the Liverpudlian spirit. Yes I keep abreast of the matches, wins and losses via the papers because 50% more for cable TV is too much to watch weekend soccer for. Anyway, before the match began, my brother in law asked if I was supporting Liverpool because an Anfieild win tonight would have dented Chelsea's chances to winning the league and exalted Manchester United's chances instead. THere you go, the enemy Man U would gain at the expense of Liverpool's win. How deplorable. I even found it funny, a sort of Catch-22 for the big picture situation. So in my heart of hearts I wanted Chelsea to win. I am sorry but that was the truth. I couldn't take more smug expressions from Man U fans who somehow being 10,000 miles away feel like they contributed to their club's long and way overdue run at glory.

Tonight's match was going to go my way and did. It was a sad performance from the Reds. Sad. Gerrard back pass to the keeper had Drogba's quick thinking wrapped all around it and Chelsea scored from that boo-boo. The next goal was pretty nice too, from Lampard that one. Liverpool played a little like Singapore when it came to scoring. Awkward shots from far away. Their passing in the penalty area hardly connected. Towards the end of the match the commentator said "the match was over for Liverpool a long time ago". Sigh. Later, he described Liverpool's performance as "insipid" and two other 'l' words I forget. 'Lifeless' I think was one. There was also a shot of a depressed looking Torres on the bench nursing his injuries and shame. They were also booted out of the UEFA cup earlier this week too. A truly miserable end of all. And I fear no one knows how to fix them.

So Man U now have to beat Sunderland and at half time it's one goal for them. Bastards.

Speaking of soccer-related tragedies, it looks like Singapore may not get it's World Cup. Well no one is confirming anything at this juncture, a crucial 5 weeks till it begins. It's really odd that we're one of four countries in the world not having secured any rights for broadcast, the others being Myanmar, Somalia and North Korea. It requires a good stretch of the imagination to put Singapore in that league. We have $ and it seems FIFA wants to milk it. The gahmen is leaving it to the broadcasters to settle the matter. My goodness - do our Radio and TV licence fees not count for anything. There are 800,000 households paying at least $100 a year for these fees and couldn't we porportion some of that dough to free broadcast of the World Cup for all men, women and children on this gleaming island? Imagine if it doesn't happen. Hotels, bars, pubs, cafes and coffeeshops would not be able to make their four year lift in income from beer, nuts and coffee sales. All the ad firms which would do up all the ads for these events would not make that business. There may be political consequences I fear if there is all talk and no action. Well time will tell if Singapore is embarrassed on the world stage and everyone clamours to get booster antennas for RTM1 or RCTI reception.

No comments: