Friday 23 November 2012

Rihanna - Diamonds

I'm so in like with this new Rihanna song and I know why. She's grown up. You can hear it her voice. Diamonds has these amazing subtle nuances and inflexions that strike at one's emotions. The way she utters 'You and I, you and I" almost breathlessly it's as if she was on drugs, or in the throes of passion or whispering in one's ear. And there are so many. These clever bits are stunning, whether they were consciously orchestrated or not. I keep thinking about the coaches on American Idol or The Voice suggesting these vocal highlights to a good voiced singer. Perhaps Rihanna has simply got better.

The lyrics themselves are down to earth and yet wonderfully metaphoric. "Find light in the beautiful sea, I choose to be happy". Maybe it's the hopefulness that radiates from the song. And in the end she's singing to you, the listener. "You and I, we're beautiful like diamonds in the sky". I can easily imagine this song playing in a sea of lighters overhead - the diamonds - as a finale in her concert.

I dare say this is 2012's Umbrella. I'll be listening to this for a long long time. The beat is just awesome too.

Turn the volume on the video and close your eyes, and listen.

No comments: