Friday 15 November 2013

I Just Wanna Go Home

There are so many issues with Singapore's taxi system that it'll hopefully boggle the LTA folks when they try to "simplify" things. Good luck. I got one if my peeves about taxi fares published in the Straits Times today (snippet right at the bottom) about different fare jumps between regular and premium taxis. But the key thing I guess the gahmen fails to realise is that the current system makes us all unhappy. Seriously unhappy. When we want a taxi, they're never around. Sometimes when you call to book one, you can't get one. So all the money we make can't get us a ride home or to work or to the airport. Or yoga in my case. I waited 40 minutes roadside last week, having given myself an hour to get to class. So my opportunity cost went up in smoke as the longer I waited, the later I would be to class and yet more likely I would get a taxi. I almost went home. I eventually missed 10 minutes of breathing and stretching. I should have just taken a train. I get more upset when I want to take a cab home from working late. They whizz by like nobody's business waiting for a booking to come in to make the additional $3 fare. Customers simply gawk jaws dropped at green lights on blue bodies escaping their reach. How are Singaporeans supposed to live happier lives and have more kids when they can't even get home easily after a long work day? It's just ridiculous. Attitudes tied to profit. The hardest to fix. Have I complained about this before? Well probably.

No comments: