Saturday 1 February 2014

Mahjong - A Metaphor For Life

I was going to write about democracy and politics and how people get it wrong or assume things are ok till they go to pieces but decided I needed to think about it some more. So I am going to expound the values of mahjong. 

I was in university when my hostel mates started and strayed into the rapture of mahjong. I didn't want to try then because I would see them spend hours at a time, mostly till the wee hours, at this fine art. I needed more sleep perhaps. Come to think about, my JC classmates played mahjong too. With cards so that their hostel officer (they were Malaysians) wouldn't hear the familiar tak-tak-tak from scrambling tiles.

From watching my player friends, I learned a few things. Mahjong could make you crazy. It can be addictive. There's a thrill in the mix of luck, skill, vision, perception, deception and folly. Anything could happen in every round. The brain perhaps craves the stimulation. The wallet less so unless you're winning. 

Mahjong is a social enterprise. We all hear stories of those who play silently and are so skilled they know at first tiles' throw they know what combination one is after. I don't like those people. They tend to be yaya or too proud of their talent. When they hurl criticism for taking longer or throwing an unexpected tile, it makes the game less fun. I know they mean well but that's not what it's about for me. I play with a group that's a little messed up when we play. Not exactly beginners but we still refer to the Wikipedia rule book for Singapore mahjong when in doubt or for validation of opinion. We eat all the time. We drink all the time. Last night's game saw Chinese New Year cookies, crisps and tarts being passed around. We had beer and Moscato as well. A fat cat made it's way around our feet, shuffling, slinking and meandering about looking for attention. The TV was on, then the radio - welcome white noise.  We talked about silly and serious things as we played. We even sang a birthday song. The social nature of the game draws me in and keeps the fun going. It's also a good way to learn about people and make better friends. 

I have to emphasize the rules about the game. There are so many that beginners often the pay the price before committing them to instinctive memory. There are etiquette rules about keeping dice and aligning tiles. You also don't tap people on the shoulders lest you put their lucky fire out. The game rules are amazing. There are multiple ways to win and each has its pros and cons. There are rules that apply to various sequences and formations. Winning from picking the back tiles gives you an extra point. You can even steal the winning tile when circumstances allow. What's also awesome is that the game is sometimes not about winning but playing defensive so that the group doesn't suffer maximum financial loss. It's strategy with a twist. 

But it's the smarts that keeps most going. It's a brainy game. You have to see the big picture and solve your own puzzle at the same time with the tiles you pick. It's a metaphor for life! The brain has to process lots of details and keep tabs what's been thrown out and recalculate the odds of getting what you need to win. Or is there another way to win? And good lord, what do I with this tile? All these questions present opportunity and action. I feel the brain needs these pokes and prods to keep on its toes. Kids should learn mahjong to hone their mental processing and memory. At least they'd won't be running around gallivanting or be up to mischief. 

It's great to win, horrible to lose. But letting money get in the way would only sour the all the other advantages. Forget the gambling. Mahjong teaches one to let go whether you've won or lost before.  Each round is an opportunity for change. One again, the metaphor for life. 

I lost $4 in last night's game (we play 20-40 cents), the last for the Snake year and first to welcome in the Horse. I slept at 5am. My body clock is off. But mahjong with friends is worth it. So if you're not quite convinced, get the smartphone game app. 

No comments: