Wednesday 12 March 2014

The Cheapest SKII, Toast Of London, MH370 And Awful Awful Pain

I present the week's highlights:

1. SKII is cheapest on the Singapore Airlines flights. Yup, the lotion on KrisShop is most value for money. It's $198 for a 250ml bottle. And the current promo rewards the buyer with an small 30ml sample bottle of the stuff. I know this from my return trip from Tokyo last week. Also, a colleague had asked me to purchase a bottle of Cellumination Mask In Lotion. I agreed and decided to do a little test. On the way out, I checked that the price in Singapore Duty Free shops at Changi was $90.50. I checked the price of the same product at Haneda Duty Free, intending to make the purchase on Japanese soil in yen. Surely a Japanese product would be cheaper at home. It was Yen7200. Wait a minute, let me google this. Yen7200 was S$89. And using my credit card would tip me over that figure and in fact I would pay more than I would in Singapore. Nay, nihon water not cheap in nihon des. That was an Ah-ah moment. On the way in, I picked up the said desirable for S$90.05 at Changi. Voila. The mysteries of inflight and duty free shopping solved for the vain but value-conscious. 

2. I saw this British comedy on the plane, Toast Of London. It's bloody hilarious. It's about a theatre actor Steven Toast who gets into all sorts of spills and thrills. It's intelligent and silly, sort of a modern day Benny Hill, and punctuated with the odd profanity. He says 'unusual' as 'un-oo-su-al'. And there a silly song in each episode. I saw two episodes and am sold. Bloody brilliant. More please but from where? Hmm. 

3. A Malaysia Airline plane crashed. And apparently I was last to know. I found out after yoga on Saturday at about 5pm. The rest of the connected and informed world found out early that morning. I was bummed and couldn't really enjoy the two ciders I had after yoga. The second I ordered because I was progressively more bummed after the first drink. The the crazy details started coming details and till now, no one sure of anything. At first all the rescue ships went to the Gulf Of Thailand. Now they're circling around the Malacca Straits. Chinese relatives called mobile phones of some of those on board to hear the phones ring without satisfaction. There were two guys on board with stolen identities. Poor guys turned out to be Iranians seeking asylum. Then news of the co-pilot allowing passengers to frisk and fondle in the cockpit in an earlier flight came to light. Malaysian bomohs performed rituals for bodies and souls to present themselves for  a quick end to the searches. Flightradar24, a plane tracking website based on signals from aircraft, first showed the plane climbing to 50000 feet and then disappearing into the sea between Malaysia and Vietnam. The site later updated its data to show the plane on its way past Vietnam and vanishing off Hainan island. It was closely tracked by another plane which also went missing on screen. An email from an oil rig worker off Vietnam indicating a burning plane sited falling from the skies is along making its rounds. Other theories of slow decompression, alien abduction and God's punishment have surfaced too. Sigh. It's terrible that we can conclude much. All this technology and we can't find a downed plane. The story continue. God bless those 239 souls. 

4. I pulled my back unceremoniously on Sunday morning. The pain subsequently spread to render me immobile and quite disproportionate. My hips were dislocated it left. My right higher than the left. My right leg was consequently longer than the left. Seriously. Walking was painful. Standing up was painful. Going to the loo was maddening. Lying down was my only respite. I also managed to quickly imbibe two Suniton pills, painkiller and muscle relaxant combo. This was noon I think. By the afternoon it got excruciating. I took a Tramadol, the last power-packed punch of pain numbing meds I had. I was still contorted. Hmm, I looked the NotreDame dude. Two years ago, I ended up in hospital when something similar happened. That was when I felt the worst pain I had ever felt. I was so in pain my sister said I turned pale. I felt like my lower spine was alive and was trying to detach itself from me like that baby alien from Aliens. I did not wish to repeat that fate. My mum seeing me in this sorry state moaning and hunched all day offered me her drugs. I declined having my equivalent stash nearby. I took an Arcoxia before succumbing to bed. The next day I went to the doctors to replenish my Tramadol hoard. Yum. I was floaty by 1pm. I later picked my drugged, sorry ass up to travel to my sinseh who seemed displeased at my state. Oh Uncle Tong. He pushed and pulled and cracked and adjusted me. My hips seemed level now. Almost. I went home slightly miffed at the reception I received and took another nap. Two days later, I am still in some agony but managed the day at work. Sigh, middle age. I shall seek out an osteopath a uni friend recommend. Osteopath today, wheelchair supplier tomorrow. The horror. 

No comments: