Thursday 17 July 2014

I'm Glad The World Cup Is Over

I'm glad the World Cup is over. I literally had a fever from watching the early morning matches and not getting enough sleep. I'd be fine till about 10am or so when my brain wanted to partially shut down but the position of the Sun in the sky and the clock on my computer screen advised it otherwise. The lack of rest would hit me again after lunch. The stomach busied with processing food would signal to the brain that it was perhaps time for a food coma. I love the Spanish have afternoon siestas. Alas we have to continue to slog at out desks or at least pretend. The afternoon onslaught of the Z monster is worse. The mind would easily wander, seeking all stimuli for staying conscious but at the same time, failing to grasp pertinent realities like a stapler can't be used for taking notes and that I was able to tie my shoelaces in the morning. It was madness and I was foolhardy that I could repeat feats of staying awake like a 20-something. 

I am also glad that Germany won. They played well against formidable opponents and eventually won with a marvellous Gotze chest-down and volley into the back of the Argentine net. It was going to be an even affair and it came down to mistakes and opportunities. Higuain is probably regrets the most, for not making full use of the defensive error early in the match. That would likely have settled affairs and the South Americans would have been champs again after 28 years. But nein. Personally I felt the older German batch - Lahm, Klose, Podolski, Schwiensteiger - deserved a world class prize for their years of dedication to their squad. Now they can celebrate and know they are truly worth their salt. The young players are brilliant too and now the whole planet knows that Germany is a football force to be reckoned with for at least a decade more. 

The WC also presented great surprises in the underdogs that made it past the group stages. Chile, Costa Rica and Colombia all made great impressions. Too bad for Netherlands but boy can Arjen Robben run and run! 

The 2018 rounds will be played in Russia and depending on whether the matches are played in Vladivostok or Moscow, I'll be skipping work in the afternoons or staying up just a little past midnight, all bearable circumstances. Now to the BPL and Liverpool winning this time. 

No comments: