Thursday 11 December 2014

Shake It Off Blank Space

First it was Shake It Off. Catchy like an energetic crab fending off completion. When I was in Spain I think Shake It Off was on TV almost every day. I'd be singing and almost dancing, wiggling really. Such a fun song about not caring what other people think. It's your life, lead it. Think Taylor has had enough flak about her relationships, her move into pop away from country, from amorous lovey dovey "we'll run off tonight" kind of songs to "yup, that's me being me, so what" music. Love it. 

Artists bring truth and reality into their music when they suffer. It's not about everything being rosy, and pouring the associated emotions, messy experiences and crazy missteps into their work often yields wonders. Reality and authenticity works with the millennials. I just hope in all this realism, Miss Swift doesn't pull a Miley and starts taking off her clothes for no rhyme or reason.

And now Blank Space. Bloody. Amazing. Song. Seriously, she needs to at least get some recognition from a songwriting perspective if the song hasn't yet been slated for Grammy gold. (Maybe both tunes will get nominated for Record Of The Year! She's replaced herself at the #1 spot on Billboard. Anything's possible!) 

"Saw you there and I thought oh my god. Look at that face, you look like my next mistake" and "So hey, let's be friends. I'm dying to see how this one ends. Grab your passport and my hand. I could make the bad guys good for a weekend" 

All the innuendo is insane. What innuendo? She's basically saying "I'm a dating nightmare psycho bitch. I choose you and we'll have some fun at my own pleasure and our shared pain." I cringed when she took the golf club to the Shelby Cobra in a fit of jealous rage. (The video is a hoot. No real million-dollar car was damaged btw). 

But the confessions in the song should make you a little sad, no? Going mental is one thing, knowing you're mental and repeating it is well just plain cuckoo. Yes, yes we're all human and history repeats itself and all that. But shouldn't we try to be better? That's two songs where the she's admitting she's playing the field and doesn't care but is emotionally a dating vampire, sucking up some fun and letting the bodies pile up. Maybe the song is replacement for therapy. Maybe I'm thinking too hard about this. 

I really like these songs and I don't care if I get slammed for being too common. Like Taylor. I've had one beer (agency event, nice Italian beer, can't recall the name). I'm a cheap date. Not like Taylor.

 

No comments: