Wednesday 11 March 2015

Disservice In Singapore

Singapore isn't known for great service. Not many waiters say "hi hello how are you?" when they come around with the menu. Cashiers simply glance at you to ensure there's a living being before them. Sales assistants at shops often simply stay behind the counter or follow customers around the store to annoy them further. There isn't a culture of politeness that extends to acknowledging customers or a system to exchange conversation such that it drives to a sale or at least a pleasant experience. What's worse is that many frontline staff adopt a path of least activity approach to their jobs. They won't make eye contact or smile; they will only help when asked; and won't think of solutions to slightly out of the box problems. It may be something we're used that any positive deviance to this norms strikes us as extraordinary. Like a bus drive who greets his passengers as they board or wait staff that bring water to the table without being asked. 

I was on holiday in Spain last year and almost every shop I went into I would hear the word "Hola" followed by a smile. It was a simple gesture that implied courtesy and presence. One couldn't help but "Hola" back. I wish counter staff at McDonalds here did that at least. 

A few Saturday's ago, I found myself at Kinki, a bar at Customs House near Clifford Pier. I had walked from Gardens By The Way where I had met friends for lunch. The journey had taken me past MBS where many bars and restaurants were already putting out Happy Hour signs to attract new patrons. I suspected Kinki would too have a similar scheme on. It was 5pm and I was customer number one. I waited for them to set up slightly (I was a tad too early) and ordered a drink. I pleasantly enjoyed the solitude and the great view while the staff went about their merry way and the loud rap music blared. I went on to order a second drink. When it was time to go, I signalled for the bill. $30. I asked the waitress if there was a happy hour thing they did. She replied it starts at 6pm.  Six bloody pm. Maybe it was the cheapskate in me or the fact that there was no other customer around, I was miffed. I told the waitress to go tell her manager that I was upset that I wasn't accorded the discount. She smiled sweetly. She must have thought I was joking. When she returned with the receipt, I asked her again. She hesitantly replied the manager wasn't around. She went back to her bevy of service staff and probably expressed my annoyance. One of the bartenders looked up at me and shouted that it was the system and that they couldn't manipulate it. Still not helping. I shouted back that they owed me two drinks. The bartender dismissively flashed a thumbs up. Sigh. I told them I wasn't coming back when I left. All of them just stared back. Clueless, hopeless and just doing their job. 

Last week, a bunch of my friends and I went on a trip. One of the said friends was 29 weeks preggers. Her doctor had said she was ok to travel and confidently she strode up to the Cathay Pacific counter at Changi Airport to check in. The nice CX lady asked a few questions as formality required. Ultimately the airline wasn't going to let my friend board without a doctor's letter. All this aside, what was lovely was that the nice CX lady said that they had printed a copy of the faxed letter for my friend to keep for her return flight, that it'll be waiting for her when she boards. Now wasn't that thoughtful?

Now there's a second nice thing that happened just about then. Another friend noticed just before boarding that her seat number was wrong, placing her 10 rows behind our group. Ay caramba. Her gallant boyfriend said no worries, he would take the odd seat. I thought hmmm, maybe the CX folks here at the gate could do something about this mistake. Guess what? They did! They called up the misplaced passenger who was given 63A and bumped him forwards to row 43 and reassigned my friend within company of her silly friends. Awww. See how nice Cathay Pacific staff are. They go out of the way to attend to needs. 

Excellent service is as simple as that. Meeting needs and sometimes exceeding expectations. 

So it's time service people and their managers (yeah you in Singapore) realise that customers are clued in and demand at least the basics. So they had better buck up or ship out. 

No comments: