Monday 4 February 2008

Only 2.9%? No Way!

The gahmen has released CPI figures that measure the cost of living in Singapore and apparently food prices have gone up 2.9% since last year. Seems miniscule on paper. In reality, we have been paying much more. How do they come about this figure?

All evidence points to the greater increases in money we fork out for food. The teh-si at Qiji now costs $1.10, up from 90 cents. That's 22%. The chicken rice stall I patronise at Maxwell has increased the cost of a normal set by 20 cents to $2.50. That's 8.7%. The old lady who gives me a funny look when I ask her for one stick of yew char kway now sells them for 40 cents, up by 10 cents. That's 33%. The famous ham chim peng stall for which I have never had the patience to queue up at now hawks the tasty fried nuggets of goodness at 6 pieces for a dollar, down by one nugget of goodness. That's a price increase of 14%. Oh my Maxwell, how have you forsaken me?

The price of a can of F&N evaporated milk has gone up from 80 cents to a staggering $1.20 at good ol NTUC. "Idiot, how can increase price like that?!" my mother says. Making tea at home is pricier, damnit. (I am not the idiot in this situation by the way)

Where is this magic figure of 2.9%? Even when the vege man at the wet market ups his prices by five cents for a pack of spinach that was a dollar, it's a 5% increase! When the coffee costs 10cents more at the kopitiam, it's usually a 10-12% addition? Oh mathematics, have you deluded us?

Really, what is happening here? Are our friendly neighbourhood hawkers and coffeeshop owners and vege sellers trying to milk the system for more mullah? Profiteering rampant in the boondocks? (I live in Woodlands) We have one-cent coins to use you know. I dun mind paying 33 cents for a yew char kway.

Is it time for another letter to the forum?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hole-in-the-wall 'cafe' near Hwa Chong has raised popiah prices from S$1.50 (when I was still in school lah) to S$1.80, then S$2.00 and in the new year S$2.20.

Malay rice stall near RGPS (yes, I like eating near schools!!!) - I pick the same dishes (three different vegetables) but the portions are now smaller and it's S$2.20 instead of S$2.00. You do the Maths lah. And you write that letter. Please.

Ps. Chinese New Year 'goodies' are ridiculously-priced this year. Even at NTUC. And cod? Gosh. You would think I'm purchasing gold.
Pps. Malay rice stall auntie starting filling her epok epok with fish instead of potatoes. She says potatoes are more expensive. See lah, now I have no epok epok to makan.

Mike Tan said...

Yes. To the forum. You have my support. What kind of calculator is the gahman using?

whimmykimmy said...

epok epok? Malay makanan? Popiah... ooh. Suckers like me can't wait to get my hands on them when I'm back. But yes, Gurmit. Write that letter. My parents still live there.