Tuesday 26 May 2009

Old Tech

I am a keeper. I have inherited this need to keeping old things from my dad. He had lots of old stuff that my mom threw out.

Over the weekend, I unearthed these gems from my chest of drawers.


I bought this fron Sunpage in 1997 I think when it was all the rage. I wanted a black Motorola Bravo Flex but all they had was this eye-popping yellow left that day. And it was pricey, $138 or $168 I think. Sigh, so I lugged and vibrated to this little yellow thing for 2 years before I succumbed to my first handphone (I found that too). I remember I couldn't change the battery without wiping out the memory. Anyone still remember how to send a page? Number, *, **?


I got my first Discman through a lucky draw with someone else's ticket. It was my Army camp's anniversary or soemthing. We were on a boat parked alongside the Clifford Pier. As the party went on, my friend, Ricardo, yes that's his name, had to leave. His girlfriend was waiting or something. So he passed me his ticket, no.141, and it landed me this technological marvel. Sony Discman D33 skipped at every knock, and was large and clunky. Good times we had. I AUXed into the camp stereo for some barbeque.


Oh calcy. This was the ONE. The best of the best, the top of the approved calculators list for O and A Levels, 1990 and 1992 respectively. The Casio FX580. The geek I was (ahem), I read the manual and tried everything out. I loved the RAN# button that generated random numbers. I remember doing the A-Levels stats question on the calculator to get the answers even before putting the answer on paper. Fun times.

Other old stuff I dug out on my Flickr

1 comment:

whimmykimmy said...

I have the same calculator! My discman looked similar but had 3 secs anti-skip feature (woohoo). Had that passbook too - I remember having to sit on the counter to get my thumb printed.

I missed Inner Sanctum. Both part 1 and 2.