Monday 17 August 2009

Status Update

Goodness, it was 3 Aug since I posted last. Not that there hasn't been anything to write about. A number of factors have got in the way:
- the lack of broadband. I'm using this M1 USB modem dongle thingy. Dongle, now that is a funny word. It's not so smooth getting online without the convenience of wirelessness all around you. My neighbours also aren't the free willy, use my broadband sort. So bummer.
- laziness. Male excuse number on. I do not go online each night. I come home, eat dinner, play with the nephew, iron perhaps, sleep. Weekends I plonk myself in front of the TV or have been busy going out. So how like that? At work, I can't be not working can I?
- work has been rather busy of late. I have much content to sift and pluck before it ends up nice and polished for all you to enjoy. Go check out Visa Go Explore if you've got a Visa card. Any Visa card.

Hmm, that's about it where non-blogging-often reasons are concerned. Well, I am on twitter and I forward those updates to FB as well, so everyone things I am hooked on the Internet umbilically.

Wait till I get my iPhone. Update galore then. Well maybe. Apparently, the mighty Singtel gods, the sound logisticians they are, ran out of iPhone. People are getting the slick device because it is the epitome of coolness. Nokians and Samsungites are dumping their noe-red telcos to lay their grubby greedy hands on the beauty that is the iPhone. SIgh. I have put myself on the waitlist. If not for the best thing in telecommunications since the brick, I would be tempted to get the Nokia 6670. It's so flat and pretty. Sigh.

On to topics in the news:
- Seagate lays off 2000 people. Well duh. No one is gonna use hardisks in 10 years time. Already state drives are taking pole position among trendy folk (aka owners of Macbook Air) and when drives get cheaper, they'll be everywhere. No more spinning problems. No more whirring. No more burnt out disks. Maybe no more Seagate. What's worse for Singapore is that there are many peripheral industries that fed Seagate. Expect more retrenchments. After Seagate, what's the new cool industry for the populace? No one knows.
- Condo-mania man. Prices are going up. AMK condo going for $1000spf. Siao. The papers seem inundated with ads that promise tall Sauron Towers surrounded by greenery and fireworks in the background. Siao. The best one was The Peak in Toa Payoh. The artist impression had the 40-storey blocks surrounded by greenery up till the horizon. Toa Payoh lah, should have been other 40-storey blocks around the damn EC.
- My N73 became hypersensitive. Started calling my contacts on its own. It was such trouble even copying all my contacts to my SIM card. I had to use a metal ruler to carefully guide the centre button to obey commands. Took me 1.5 hours. Singtel call me quick!
- Am gonna be moving for a 2nd time to the more permanent location in about 2 weeks. More work to do. Good thing we left most of the boxes as they were, sealed and marked. Haven't smelled them in 2 months.
- After National Day, my boss and I got transferred to an all new department under another bloke. There are 4 of us in total. A good small start to bigger better things. But now who do I get my staples from?
- I'm listening to more radio 91.3 than ever before. They are the funniest jokers in the morning and the evening.
- I saw UP in 3D. It's very nice the way Pixar can make a cartoon emotionally appealing. Good show for anyone of any age. That was National Day in fact when I saw it. Then instead of going home to watch the parade, I ended up at a friend's place to celebrate his cat's birthday. Ended up watching the parade on the TV there and the flypast and fireworks from the window of the 14 storey apartment at Jalan Sultan. It was a half cm gap between Conrad and Suntec Tower 4 that was the point of bright focus.
- Football started yesterday and Liverpool lost. Aiyoh.

That's about it - the general update.

No comments: