Wednesday 6 January 2010

Not A Fine And Dandy Start To The New Year

On the morning of January 1 I woke up with a stiff neck. I couldn't really gain full motion of my chin to my left shoulder. On January 2, I woke with a funny pain in my lower back. It was not the same old pain I had pre-yoga, that awful pinched nerve that could essentially paralyse me. This one was a lower done the pelvic bone, sort of muscular or skeletal in nature. I still made myself attend 90mins of sweaty bending that afternoon. Then I had a cider. Ah. Then I went to buy new pillows.

Today, I still can't really turn my head to the left. Worse still, some of pain has gone on an adventure to scope out other regions of my torso to take hostage. I felt a twinge on my right back near the shoulder two days ago. Today it moved to the top end of my ribcage. It hurts when I take a full breath (bikram yoga pose 1) The back pain is almost gone. It's there when I think about it.

Yoga yesterday was a surprise. I made through another hour and half of great physical strain. I have been doing the same 26 postures for the past year plus and yesterday felt like my first lesson. My legs were on the verge of buckling during the the 'powerful pose', the 'heels up' pose and the 'thighs together and bend your knees' pose. Aiyoh. Pain in my thighs like they were metal being stretched out in a furnace.

To add to the assortment of pain my body is trying to endure, I have been at work with a bunch of ill colleagues. One lady came in with a raspy throat with volumes of phelgm trying to leave her windpipe. We could all hear it. The next day she was better but her colleague who was down with a fever popped in for a full day's work not fully cured of his ailment. I think I have caught a mix of their rojak viruses and bacteria. I have a headache as I bash away at the keyboard, and I can feel my temperature rising. I took a Panadol ten minutes ago and a Vit C pill an hour earlier. The only highlight of the evening were the extra cute, extra adorable Golden Retriever puppies on Greatest American Dog.

I am off to bed now. I feel the Paracetamol kicking in.

1 comment:

dsowerg said...

This thing seems to be going around. I was felled during the run up to the New Year. Thought I recovered but was struck but another round of the flu. Today is the first day of the year I actually feel vaguely normal.

Go easy on yourself while your body fights the virus.