Wednesday 10 February 2010

Down Then Back Up

Funny day today. When I first joined this job, my desk was with a department, let's call them Team A, on level 17. Last year in August the whole bunch of us packed our precious whatnots into a maximum 2 boxes each and headed down to level 12. We missed our lovely wood panelled cupboards and desks albeit for a short time because the we began to fall in love with our spacious cold grey metal and plastic surrounds. I was also made part of a brand new department set to shift perceptions, take control and make money. Today, after some debate among the powers that be and several PowerPoint decks and perhaps even power plays/struggles from which my boss and I were assigned another department, we moved back up to level 17. Instantaneously we felt cramped. We didn't really accumulate much new stuff so it was purely an aesthetic rejection. But soon I was liking it after putting everything in its right place, monitor connected to the lappy, pretty things on the shelf, giant calendar on general shelving, ugly cumbersome things stashed away, printer hooked up, it was all good. My boss is taking his time moving his model planes and photos up. The only gripe I have is the exposure I now have to eyes along the corridor. We couldn't decide on where to sit so I am stuck exposed to the cushioned putter patter of colleagues' feet. Well, at least the fengshui rocks.

No comments: