Sunday 13 June 2010

World Cup 1

It's half time in the England - USA match and it's been interesting. This is my second live match having seen most of the Argentina - Nigeria match earlier. I oddly couldn't catch a nap between the matches, it being past midnight here in Singaland. I tossed and turned in bed, a myriad of thoughts running through my head. I sort of blame the food I had at the pasar malam a few hours earlier, full of god knows what chemicals and preservatives that toted with body chemistry.

Back to the World Cup. I was disappointed to know that the opening games were dull low scoring games. I remember the awesome opener in Germany in 2006 when the home side did away with Costa Rica 4-2, an amazing six goals in 90 minutes. I hope the Germans play as awesomely this year. Back to the England - USA match, I came into the game thinking te Anericans would somehow pull off a unforseen surprise over the colonial masters of yore. But somehow seeing the familiar faces of the EPL, Gerrard, Heskey, Lampard, Rooney, I somewhat wavered in my neutral position to support England. Maybe because I saw Gerrard and Liverpool not get anywhere this season and felt sorry for him. Then Gerrard scored in the 4th minute and I reaffirmed where my heartfelt loyalties lay. With the red and white flag, no blue. Yes I want England to taste glory, yes.

Ok the 2nd half is about to start.



No comments: