Sunday 9 December 2012

Food Luck This Season

I have no idea what's in a toffee nut latte. Every year Starbucks unleashes these festive drinks upon the addicted masses which slurp each drop of sweet, caffeinated deliciousness without question. The UK website says its a flavour of buttery toffee and the scent of roasted nuts, or something like that. I am wondering if it's just a a dollop of caramel and hazelnut syrup premixed into a cloyingly sweet compound design to enslave our sugar-addicted brain cells to wanting more and live through the season of merrymaking.

I had my first on Friday and it didn't taste as good as I previously remember it. I didn't have the whipped cream on the beverage and when I mentioned this fact to a TNL fan, I was chided for my wrongdoing. I had broken the code of abject gluttony and rampant overeating that is characteristic of the season. I should have let the calories in, not hold back on hedonism. Sorry, I will do better next time and loosen a notch on my belt beforehand to relieve the emotional burden and possible tummy discomfort.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about the TNL and simply enjoy myself. You know the season doesn't simply end at New Year's right? It ends at the end of Chinese New Year, a good two months plus of indulgence. I wish everyone food, sorry, good luck.

No comments: