Tuesday 18 December 2012

Oh MP Where Are You? My First MPS

I went to my first Meet-The-People session yesterday. First since moving to Sengkang. I wanted to tell my MP how I felt about a few recent events and perhaps an old one.

So I went at about 9pm after I had to do some scouting around. You see, one of things I had to bring up, was the new roofing that was about to come up on my neighbourhood multi-storey carparks. I couldn't understand why good money was being spent on creating roofing to protect cars when we're trying to reduce our vehicle population, and also when the car park space wasn't even maxxed out yet. The latter I had to verify with my own eyes. So I went to 3 carparks, climbed flights of stairs to the penultimate deck, took a picture at each one and climbed down. A convinced man makes a better case. That's one. Two, there was a survey to build a Multi-Purpose Hall near my block. They would tear up grass and pretty trees for this monstrosity that would attract noisy vermin in the middle of the night. No, I wouldn't agree to it. Three, as many of you may know already, there are no coffeeshops in my neck of the woods. Nil, nada, zero, kosong. I was thinking - why build the coffeeshops on the damn car park roofs? These are already built to support the weight of many cars, why not people who are sitting down to eat?

Last but not least, I wanted to tell my MP that I disagree that the PM should have unfettered discretion at deciding when a by-election should be held. At least a timeframe should be stipulated in our constitution. It's a democracy, so there should not be a time when the people, regardless of how many, are unrepresented by government. I figure a maximum of 4 months. That's debatable so there should be a debate. And the decision shouldn't rest with one person. One person government is a monarchy or dictatorship. This we ain't. It's in our pledge, the one I recited since I was 7.

Guess what? My MP was not there.

He was busy handling cases over at Michael Palmer's constituency. The middle-aged persons at the counter looked blankly when I told them my issues and looked more confused when it seemed I couldn't understand why my MP wasn't at my scheduled neighbourhood Meet-The-People Session. I told them that there should have at least be a sign or something indicating the MP's absence. So I was somewhat miffed. Then I had to fill in this form stating my issues. I wrote and wrote. They were a little surprised that I could, it seems. They fluttered around me speaking in Mandarin, saying that this fella wanted to see the MP. I guess the people who came to Meet-The-People Sessions weren't that intelligent and followed all instructions from these MPS volunteers or attendees just weren't that bothered by the misnomer in context. I was the thrithieth person not to see the MP yesterday.

Turns out that these MPS volunteers don't even reside in my neighbourhood. They couldn't relate to my neighbourhood issues.

I left after passing over the form, and I apologised if they felt I came on too strong about the lack of MPness. They assured me Mr Teo Ser Luck would contact me via email.

1 comment:

Reflections of Silver said...

That's where they were?
http://english.sccci.org.sg/index.cfm?GPID=163