Sunday 4 March 2007

Gambling,Tis The Season

Just as caroling is to Christmas, gambling is to the Lunar New Year. Each year millions of Chinese, or those partaking upon the festivities, exchanges angpows and oranges, and sit down to good food, drink and many, many rounds of gambling. Over the years, my Chinese friends have welcomed me into their evil circle of sin. Evil because I generally lose. The house always wins.

The game of choice is generally Blackjack. Sometimes we submit to in-between. Either way it's mad. But fun, haha. This year I have exposed the Braun Buffel to the gamblers at Chee Chong's home, the office (sssh!), the company lo-hei dinner and Serene's place.

I think I may have neutralised my losses this year. Zero sum.

One funny thing about gambling is the gamut of superstitions that dictate around each game. One's performance in Blackjack is dependent on
- one's position among the players
- if the deck is cut
- who cuts the deck
- history of the dealer's luck
- unholy partnerships (dealers and their silent partners)

In-between players need to
- not listen to your friends
- not touch the money when it's your turn
- not let anyone else touch the money when it's your turn
- the dealer's spite at others

Oh dear, oh dear, the secrets are out.

No comments: