Sunday 17 June 2007

Coming And Going

The past two weeks have been transition weeks. Two weeks ago I started the final week at the 'old job'. It was a week when clients went berserk and projects went haywire. Everyone was everywhere and extremely busy. It was difficult even to do a quiet handover to Gerald. When the last Friday came along, I was so busy clearing out my desk and handing stuff over that I had to tarpau lunch - Liang Seah fried rice with an egg on top. I left some time after 8pm, having had cake with the Creatives (thank you!) and a Heineken (in the fridge for TGIF), and having received a Superman nutcracker (thanks!) and a set of Moleskine notebooks (thanks!), and having sent out my final Thank You email.

Then some of us scooted off to Blu Jazz at Haji Lane. The downstairs was crowded and the upstairs was too dark and full of angmohs having a birthday party. Admist the talking and gawking, the band came on and we had to leave. Given that it was my first time there, my impression was that it seemed like a confused place trying to be too cool with a jazz band that's too loud and didn't understand that most of us just wanted to sit and relax. The beer downstairs is cheap, so I guess that's a plus, and I heard the food is good too. We talked and laughed till about 1am. By then I had trouble keeping my eyes open.

Monday was the first day of the working week and my first day at the new job. Yup, no breaks, from frying pan to frying pan. Day 1 was orientation day. I was introduced to dozens of people, took over an ancient but temporary I-book at a temporary desk, had my photo taken in a dark studio with professional lighting, and read BTL guidelines for a job. The rest of the week was more reading, some brainstorming, some writing and more reading. And voila, the week was over, topped off with an Indonesian meal (Cumi Bali, Duxton Road, 6220 6619) and K-box.

I get a new desk and a new computer tomorrow. Woohoo.

No comments: