Friday 28 March 2008

Random Ramblings About Singapore - Lebanon Match

So we won 2-0. It could have been better. Like 5-0.


I was on a bus from Robinson Road to Nicoll Highway. It was a no70 that took office types out of the city to homes in the north. At the back of the ever more crowded bus where I sat and attempted to nap, a group of ladies gathered. They were discussing the then impending match. One of them, the louder one, seemed to know just that tad bit of soccer sufficient to get by in daily life. The rest were asked who the opponents were. The louder one replied "Lebanon. They have a tree on their flag. A Christmas tree." In my faux slumber, I was thinking "Damn I wish I knew what tree was on the Lebanese flag." I would have turned this boo-boo semi-insult around. Damn.


The tree image on the Lebanese flag is the Cedar tree. Like the wood and girls school. I found out from one the Lebanese supporter girls.

I sat at the grandstand area for the first time. The view is different really.

A ball-picker's error resulted in a yellow card for Lionel Lewis. Shock, horror, dismay! When the ball found its way behind the Singapore goal, a boy in torquoise threw a replacement ball towards the open hands of the Singapore goalie. But alas, the ball and gravity conspired to alter the former's trajectory such that the ball hit the sideboard. Lionel then had to wait for another ball to come flying in. He then carefully placed the ball for a kick. But alas, Mr Referee decided that Lionel was talking too long and awarded him a yellow card for wasting time. Like WTF. Ridiculous man. The crowd boo-ed the ball picker after we gave the ref a piece of our mind.


There was a die-hard fan sitting behind us. This guy sang Majulah Singapura, and I was compelled to sing along. We all know how pensive Singaporeans get when they try to sing the National Anthem outside of formal school and National Day (even then we get the lyrics wrong!). He also knew every player by name and number, and as any die-hard fan is hardwired to do, he was spewing advice and instruction to the players on the field, 50 meters away. It was like having a live commentary and I enjoyed every minute of it. I introduced myself at the break and we chatted for a while. I sadly forgot his name but I won't forget his passion for the team.

We played well though the moments of brilliance were matched by the occasions the team didn't capitalised on clear advantages. We saw no5 and no13 take risks but the others seemed afraid to step beyond their roles and boundaries. Come on man, we need to see the spark, the flicker of imaginative (perhaps selfish) play that takes the player to icon. Try, go forward, look around, pass well, and be ready to shine.


The stadium hasn't closed yet. And you can plonk your ass on the wood seats on June 2 when Singapore takes on Uzbekistan. Good luck boys.

I was there with Audrey, Eric (and Maggie, ahem), Say Wee and 10115 other fans.

No comments: