Sunday 21 December 2008

A Short Burst Of Weddings

I attended two weddings celebrations over 2 days last week. The first wedding saw Edwin Tan, "old man" of Hall Six fame, take to the stage with his bride, Valerie. He's one funny guy. One of his buddies summed up what most of us found out over time, he's got a tough veneer but a softie at heart. It wasn't till my final two years in NTU did I discover how much of a joker Edwin was and an all-round good guy.

The dinner was a nice, sedate affair at a hotel downtown. We Sixians met up and could help trade stories, make fun of each other and complain about the food and service. Good times. My camera didn't quite make appear too often and I got mostly my fellow comrades at my table. I didn't even manage to catch a good shot of the Man Of The Hour. Whoops. Congratulations nonetheless. I like the line Edwin said about his 'taking his time' with tieing the knot - 'Valerie is someone I am most comfortable with'. That's what the rest of your life should be about isn't it?



Two days, I made my way to Clarke Quay for Ariel and Chris' wedding lunch. At Indochine no less. I couldn't wait because I knew it wasn't going to be the run of the mill affair. Indeed it wasn't. The restaurant/bar itself was quirky, an old Chinese two storey building, refurbished with the necessary commercial comforts. I had my Hall Anniversary there in 1998. The location made the photos all the more interesting.

I was told to sit at table 10 with a bunch of interesting strangers who turned out to be Ariel's philosophy classmates in NUS. What a bunch. Articulate, forthcoming, clever. They smoked like chimneys and drank like fish. They belong in advertising. Lunch was 2 appetisers, 4 main courses, a dessert and loads of beer and wine to top off proceedings. There was way too much food and we managed to stuff ourselves a little short of silly. Lovely.

Congratulations Ariel and Chris. All the best always.

No comments: