Wednesday 17 June 2009

Apart from
- my first pager,
- my first NS payslip,
- the invitation the Army sent my family to watch me at the BMT passing out parade,
- my first Sony Discman,
- my first and fifth handphones,
- my secondary school bus passes,
- my blue Singapore-Malaysia passport,
- my university matriculation card,
- the last ever Area Licensing ticket (sold the day before ERP launched),
- LOTR 2 and LOTR 3 cinema tickets,
- a Milli Vanilli cassette tape,
- the first issue of 8 Days,
- my first POSB passbook and thousands of other things,
I had to pack up my father's old magazines. He ordered these magazines in the 60s and 70s called Mother India. He would quote from them and his views often sided with that of the magazine's editor, Baburao Patel. I think we listened for a while then started to roll our eyes as we grew older. Haha.

The cool thing about gently peeling the pages of yore was that now I am able to appreciate the language, style and content of these Mother India issues. The oldest I remember seeing dated back to 1962. The cool thing in these black and white print mags were the ads. They are now hilarious but retro cool.


This one is the best, MCP to the core. Of course I wear the damn pants, make me some tea woman!

More gems

Other classics at my Flickr

No comments: