Monday 28 December 2009

The Year-end Poke And Prod Exam

I have a colleague who narrated her experience about a dentist visit. On a visit to get her teeth whitened, she was told that she should get some work done on some teeth as 'preventive measures' to not incur further aggravated problems in the future. Thinking about it rationally, yes, why not. One should always prevent future trouble, especially painful affairs with teeth. So she agreed and the dentist went to work to fix god-knows-what. In the end, it was an extraction plus a root canal. Goodness. Also, she never got her teeth whitened in the end.

I recently moved, well, some months ago to a new part of Lalaland, and bid adieu to my dentist of a few years. She actually put in the crown that now conceals my front tooth stump. The crown replaces enamel that was partially chipped and re-patched with fake, badly yellowing enamel. Yes, vanity got the better of me. Anyway, I had to find a new doctor to look at my teeth.

So as I happened to wandering around my neighbourhood mall, I spied a dentist's office on the 3rd floor corner, next to a medical clinic and a spa. I went in and made an appointment to get my teeth scaled and polished before the year came to a close (as required by the claims department). And earlier this evening, I saw the man in white, and it was a strange experience, bearing in mind my friend's story I retold in para 1. With a few quick prods in my mouth, this man told me I had two decay happening in two places among the pearlie whites. He handed me a mirror to check out the damage. I, in my esteemed professional opinion as an web marketing/content person, avid bookworm and keen conversationalist, saw nothing to concur with said dentist. I told him "No, I'll get them done later."

The guy's assistant then gave a pair of goggles, stuck the suction firmly under the right side of my tongue, and stepped back as Mr Tooth Inspector proceeded to scale and polish. The whole affair was about 15-20mins long and cost me $71.56.

I came out of the dentist feeling puzzled. I know it's his job to spot cavities and fix them. But it too soon for skeptical old me to commit to a new dentist's opinions. "Out for new customer money" I kept thinking. Am I wrong? I don't trust these guys no more. The world is a cruel place where everyone else wants their grubby little professionally-trained hands on my wallet. Cynical and skeptical is an evil combo. Like surf and turf.

I'll wait and see. With pain, I'll rush back. Without pain, I'll carry on with Colgate and floss. Not the pork, but the string to clean in between with.

2 comments:

stardust said...

yeah it's shite. i had a trainee dentist plucking out the wrong tooth and ended up with a 3K implant op.

:( i trust dentists no more.

Anonymous said...

wat an obscene world we live in, isn't it?

I wanna make a change... looking at the man in the mirror.. :)