Wednesday 6 April 2011

I MIss Old Marche

A bunch of us were at Marche 313 Monday night. Generally we there for the company, ex-colleagues and some still colleagues who meet to talk, laugh and tell stories. although it might sound like the sustenance was secondary, what hit home to me was that this was not the Marche of old.

Firstly, the food was funny. Not quite in the laughing gas way although i have semi- sworn off the sausages ever since a bout of food poisoning over Christmas some years ago. The menu this time was not as varied as before and nothing really seemed to appeal. I was walking around for 15 minutes before deciding on what I thought was a safe bet - ham crepes. It came out tough and worse of all, boring, even rather tasteless. There was no more Marche thrill at the core of their offering - supposedly good food. That was it I suppose, bland food. Almost all the food that we brought to the table for sharing was quite bland. Where was the salt? Where were the spices and herbs, potted plants of which they sold at the entrance of the underground gastro lair? Couldn't the cooks have plucked out some basil and rosemary to accent the food?

And the chefs. Goodness. It was dinner and they must have been tired but some of them let it show. Not quite the same peppy Marche staff we all use to know and love. The pizza guy looked bushed and pasta guy seemed deaf. I asked for the prawn and chili pizza and guy told me the prawns ran out. A friend brought a pan of paella with large prawns to the table, and I was wondering if the pizza couldn't walk over and borrow a few to make me a pizza. Initiative people, initiative! In initial my foray around the restaurant, I passed the hot drinks section where I noticed that a beverage spiced with cardamom was sold. I commented to the guy behind the counter that the drink seemed “quite Indian” and he replied “yes, it tastes Indian”. I was like what? and moved away quickly. It was one strange night.

What's even worse, calamitous in fact - prices have gone up. Not as good value anymore our dungeon of festive fare is.

The Swiss pinot noir was good. Best thing of the night. Yeah card system was the same, though the cards became pocket-sized.

So Marche has run out of kick for me. Even a visit to MOS Burger piques my interest more. Sigh.

No comments: