Friday 1 April 2011

Nasty Chocolate Induced Bug

A colleague came around to, in her own words, "share the fat" of little chocolate pieces she bought or was given. She doesn't have much of a sweet tooth and was glad to dispense out the confections to anyone who responded to her call for snackage. She left me two tiny packets of Toblerone. I opened one up, took a picture of the three peaks of cocoa-based manufacture, and promptly popped it into my waiting mouth. Ah sweet. Hmmm, too sweet in fact.

I looked at the second lonely piece and decided to put it out of its misery. In it went and I was satisfied albeit a little guilty because it was Tuesday, yoga day, and sweets would not make it any easier to get through 90 minutes in a 40-degree high humidity environment bending and stretching. Well I would get through it.

But soon I realised the chocolate was having a different effect, a more ominous circumstance - the sore throat. My oesophagus was quickly giving into the 'heatiness' of the low quality chocolate and soon it was a raging nuclear reactor of pain. Yikes. I knew from experience I had to tackle this ailment quickly before it made a mess of my immune system. I drank lots of water but to no avail. It hurt and worse yet, I could feel that the germs and viruses had won the battle - a slight fever was coming on. I took a Panadol Flu tablet to fortify the defences. But I was slowly but surely succumbing to the infection. I put on a sweater. It felt as if the aircon had gone mad and winter was setting in (though my eyes could see sunlight. Oh dear, that was it. I knew I was a goner.

I did go for yoga and made it through. The instructor had not yanked the thermostat up for fear of scaring off the new students so class was manageable. But the night was bad. I took another panadol flu and sucked on couch drops. I drank water all night, I peed many a time too. No good. By morning, the fever was still sort of there but the throat felt better. I went to work and got a Strepsils Max pack of 6 blackcurranty drops of medical assistance. I was surprised how effective they were. The throat pain soothed out but the inevitable had happened - the flu went up to my nose and sinuses. Breathing is ok but the clog is crazy. I feel as if there's tissue stuffed under my upper cheeks.

It's the same today. At work and stubbornly not seeing a doctor. I probably need antibiotics but I want my system to fight this chocolate induced sickness. I have been taking Vit C on a more regular basis, buffered 8-hr time-release expensive Vit C.

In the meantime, my other frustrations include long-distance arrows at work to do stuff leftover from people leaving their jobs and of course, the repeated realization that the SG democracy isn't quite as fine and dandy as it is. SG elections are coming up and Twitter is all aflutter with comments, speculations and criticisms - so fun.

No comments: