Wednesday 28 March 2012

Dreaming About Dream Jobs

It's not happening in the train this morning.

So I had a brief daydream about what I would like to be doing on a daily basis and somehow eke out a living from.

1. Giving people directions. Yesterday I was going back to the office after acquiring a spot of teh-si when a lady stopped me along the pavement outside ex-SIA Building and asked where the MAS Building was. I brought her to the road's edge and pointed. That's was mildly fulfilling. Didn't have to check my iPhone either. Some weeks, a young lady standing at the junction of Anson and Maxwell asked me where the Ministry of Manpower was. I replied she was got off at the wrong MRT Station. Think she mixed up MOM with MND. Poor thing. So I figure telling people where to find things is a nice enough job. Been reading maps since i was a wee kid so i guess i am a sort of natural at pointing things out. I envision a simple table with a laptop empowered with Internet connectivity and perhaps a small printing device stationed at one of the busier MRT stations would be adequate. A giant "i" above the spot. A not so taxing vocation, not for the whole day of course, it might get dull.

2. Play music - Fun isn't it? Just listening to songs you like. Imagine doing it for money.

3. Taking pictures - Many of us have cameras and some are better photographers than others. Well I ain't brilliant but I enjoy the craft. I haven't quite escalated beyond a more complex point-and-shoot machine but it does the job. It's enjoyable. I see the potential of captured images in many many things, beyond the usual group dinners and pets. There's pattern, shapes, kaleidoscopes, crowds of colour, light, the lack of light to capture. It's seeing the beauty when others ignore it plain sight. That's photography to me.

4. Writing - Perhaps the easiest or the hardest to achieve out of the whole list, depending on when inspiration strikes. We all can write. Whether it's a good story is up for debate. Usually some professional's opinion will come into play and the intense criticism will be too much to bear and kaput, en of ambition. One is meant to pick one's manuscript from the ashes and rekindle the flames of life into the words and paragraphs so that they once again tell a tale worthy of merit. Something like that. No I have not written anything besides this blog. Maybe I should summon up the will and energy to sit down and do something about it. It won't be easy. Much chocolate and coffee and some beer might be necessary (food for thought).

That's it for the morning. Just realised I shouldn't be at work this early. Stood up for a conference call. Wtf.

No comments: