Tuesday 27 March 2012

Watching The Box

I realised after writing that title into the appropriate field that it could lead into a study of Schrodinger's cat or perhaps an essay on the psychology of people who expect something miraculous to happen by just waiting around or staring at things.

I am actually talking about watching television. Some of you will now go "who does that anymore?". I do and I ain't really into compu-tv. Anyway, some of the stuff I'm into is the last season of Lost. Yes, most of you already what happened. For me it's a slow reveal, a climactic end to the crazy episodes of yore. Remember the polar bear and when you first knew of the 'Others'. All that cool plot-twisting is coming to the fore in an ending I'll see next week. Is it a letdown? Dunno, don't care.

The other cool thing on the box now is American Horror Story. Put together by the same people who do Glee (quite refreshingly surprising to know), the show is about this older couple with a daughter who leave the east coast to live in the west coast to escape their metaphoric ghosts. What they don't know is that they've made their home with real ones, in a really creepy house. The story flows and ebbs between the present and past, connecting the dots between current spooky happenings and past gruesome murders. Awesome cinematography and editing. The plot is riveting not because I'm a horror film junkie (oh no, really, no) but human and humourous (yes morbid funny) elements come through quite nicely too. And the actors, goodness. They play their roles so well.

Of course I try to catch the comedies. Life is miserable without the funnies. There's the repeat of How I Met Your Mother and the new season 7; repeats of 30 Rock and Nurse Jackie; season 2 of Community is better now.

Well that's all folks. Entertainment at a glance. I ain't a couch potato. Not really.

No comments: