Thursday 5 April 2012

Being Too Nice, Too Bad

Nice guys end up last.

Colleague shoved me into a corner meeting room yesterday and told me news about people movements in the office including a new old hire. It was not a negative revelation. I was more glad it was sensible. Anyway, I proceeded to rant on about the amount of work I have on my To Do's list because I was asked how the new role was shaping up. Sigh. Then colleague said I was too nice, that I shouldn't be helping so many people solve their problems. Interesting eh. I remember in the army some old fogey would tell us NSFs "see who need help, go and help them". It was perhaps necessary advice then to keep potentially idle hands busy. These days it ain't worth it, so it seems. The corporate world laughs at those who slog. If you ain't done by six (pm), something needs to be fixed. Same colleague was saying that it was the stability and familiarity of the job the was enjoyable and in fact necessary for maintaining sanity. I need to do the same - keep to the boundaries of stability and familiarity to establish a new status quo of anti-slog. Well I'm hoping for things to smoothen out soon while I tackle the fires and simultaneously take a step back to gawk at the big picture.

Nice guys end up last in the office.

No comments: