Friday 13 April 2012

Football Is Great

I'll watch if it's available. I'll attend if there's a chance. Nope, don't have the football channels on TV. The MIO guy was at my door some weekends ago and asked if I enjoyed the sport. Now that the Euro's coming up, I'm sure I'll be accosted by more sales reps on the street. $60 to watch a month of matches. Not sure what I'd compare that to - 4 CDs, dinner for 2-3, 4-5 beers, 60 one-dollar apps? I won't go mad if I don't get my fix of it. I listen out to the reports in the morning on the radio. Wigan 1 Man United 0 made me smile. Then Man City winning made me grin too. Somewhere in there I'm a Liverpool supporter. But their journey each season is a veritable roller coaster. They're like 7 or 8 in the league table, no possible contention for the title. Then there's a resurgent Tottenham. They've been on like firecrackers this season.

The tipsy turbulence (those last two words auto corrected from topsy turvy) nature of these rankings and what happens on the pitch makes things interesting no doubt. Well, off the pitch the players make headlines too - some blokes getting charged for rape now. Others had affairs they're not proud of. Footballers are celebrities and the game isn't just on the pitch anymore. David Beckham taught us how to milk talent for mooollah. Not surprised if parents are raising kids to be footballers. We're suckers for entertainment and pay big bucks for it.

Singapore football has seen a re-ignition of sorts too. The boys got back into the Malaysian league and are now number one. Spirited bunch of fellas. And they're trying hard. That's what we like to see. There's a galvanising quality to sport that's unmatched. It brings a country together and in these times, it's more important than ever. The only sucky thing right now is that we haven't got a proper big stadium to get the roar going again. It'll be 2015 I think when the new big one in Kallang is ready. Nonetheless we should all get behind our team and lift them up, win or lose. The pride helps sustain the energy and spirit. That's what great about football.

No comments: