Tuesday 26 December 2006

Ain't Got No Monkey's Back


Hah! There's nothing up with the back. Armed with the Xray taken last week at SATA (they should really add a heater to the cold metal table one has to lie on to get blasted with radiation), I paid a visit to the doctor's for an evaluation of my debilitating lower back condition.

Guess what? The doctor said that the human spine isn't as strong as it should be. Unlike other upright animals which walk on 2 legs like man such as gorillas, humans have relatively thin spines. Gorillas apparently have chunky ones, with stronger, wider lower verterbrae sections. (By this time, I was chuckling) Examining the Xray film, he concluded that there was no spinal trouble, no discs about to slip off and no need for an MRI. All that was wrong was that the final end of the spine was aligned straight, when it should be curved (see the right side of Xray above) - a sign of muscle contraction and pain. Wahzan! So there's no cure but patience and more Anarex and Tramadol. He even taught me a back strengthening exercise.

So now I am drugged up, again. My mother wants me to go get some acupuncture done - a temporary pain relief but not a cure according to gorilla doctor. So now my back hangs in the balance, torn between drugs and needles, in the wishy-washy ying-yang cycle of relief and agony. Ah, I can feel the pills kicking in...

No comments: