Saturday 10 February 2007

All Steamed Up

This dinner was planned for a week. From an email that began as 'Let's go mabuk', we settled on the debate on dinner with a decision to steamboat our way through. Carolina, pictured unflaterringly with a boiled prawn below, introduced us to The Sheep Mongolian Steamboat Buffet closer to the Beach Road end of Tan Queen Lan St. I being Indian am not a steamboat afficionado and was hence skeptical of a good dinner. Indians don't really steam anything, except maybe some desserts. We boil curries, that's it.

To my surprise, the 'non-beef' half of the steamboat contraption was filled an exceptional spicy stock in which a great number of veges and meats had been thrown in. I gulped the soup, and teared as the spice and piquancy shot through my nasal passages. Heavenly.

Proceedings were interesting as we dunk and dipped, scooped and probed, ate and slurped. We discovered most of the table despised liver - I nearly died when I was fed liver off a hor fun when I was five. We also found that Carolina has a talent for peeling prawns. Like magic, her deft fingers relinquish the prawn body from its encapsulating shell in 30 seconds. What results are two separate entities, one succulent morsel to be enjoyed, the other perfect semi-transparent pink sheath to be discarded. Gastronomic art.

Thank you Kublai. $22 after tax.

No comments: