Wednesday 2 April 2008

Lost In NUS On A Saturday

Gerald asked me to accompany him to NUS to a Start Up Singapore talk on Web 2.0. I told him I would rather be sleeping, especially after a beer or two the night earlier.

Nonethless, I managed to wake up after about 5 hours sleep and made my way to Clementi to meet an equally sleepy Gerald. We took the 96 at the interchange and proceeded to get lost in the labyrinth that is NUS.

Firstly we got off the bus at the third bus stop, apparently at the suggestion of an ex-NUSian Georgina. Ahem. I checked the map where we alighted and we were miles off base! So we crossed over, waited for the internal bus, and hung out with kids in yellow Yishun JC tees for the next 10mins (they seemed lost too), before getting told to alight at the "last stop oredi". Goodness, where fark were we? Prince George's Residences - chi chi accommodation for foreign students? Goodness.

So Gerald and I walked to the NUS Business faculty. We passed the Incubation Labs where we imagined students under huge lamps concentrating hard, constipated in thought and creativity, to churn out that one big egg of an idea. We did eventually end up at the right place, having lost perspiration and calories to get there (after many a slope and bend I might add).

So we sat down to listen to people talk about Web 2.0. We figured we may have something to contribute given we work in the industry of making Web 2.0 work for our clients. Well, let's just say it was a little been there, done that. Enlightening for the kids but not so much sparkle for us lao jiaos. Ahem. Hao lian.

So we joined two people I know and met at the talk - Van Tan and November Tan (she manages Pulau Ubin Stories), unrelated. One was a speaker and the other, attendee. Consumption of the reception ensued (I had way too many eclairs but they were so good) and we even got a ride out to Dover from Van (so nice). Well a morning adventure done and dusted, time for a nap.

More pixes at my Flickr.

1 comment:

Ruok said...

Small world, I know November as well.