Tuesday 28 April 2009

Bookworm Evening

I was at Harris bookstore earlier to make use of a discount voucher. Expires 30 Apr so I'd better make use of it. With no intention of what to get, I simply enter the store and keep my eyes open. Sisilia, and later Nana, came along to influence my decisions.

It was a fun adventure that unfolded as such:
  • Upon entry, we were overwhelmed with books on the financial crisis, and some books on Obama.
  • A cool title was "What Would Google Do?". Interesting way to run a business I guess.
  • Tin Tin is categorised under Humour. I have only ever read one Tin Tin book. I have also only read one Hardy Boys novel - I got that for Christmas 2 years ago.
  • I nearly bought The Ways Of The Weasel by Scott Adams - more hilarious takes on corporate culture.
  • There were many different books in the Humour section, some mostly about nothing. Seriously. There are many books that are about crap. One book was titled 1001 Ways To Die, a compilation of strange ways people died. I remember that one Vietnamese man fell into a vat of fish sauce and the four people who tried to save him were overcome by the fumes of fermented fish, fell him and drowned too. How not to laugh? There was another sketch book with loads of dark humour stick figures. One page had a stick figure with a stick figure knife, and black splotches on other stick figures laying slain. The speech bubble read "I think I misplaced my medicine." Good eh. It's not good I appreciate this.
  • There was only one shelf of Humour books and three shelves for Self Improvement. A sign of the times? Are we really in need of much help? If I didn't up there, would I know I needed help? Goodness.
  • Sisilia picked up a self help book with a byline that read "How To Be A Person" or something to that effect. I think a dog wrote that book.
  • Nana said that this section makes her feel useless. There was a title staring back that read "How To Not Have A Life That Sucks" or something like that. Horrible isn't it? All these problems you never knew you had that you now had to buy a book or 27 books to solve.
  • There was a Dummies' Guide to Work-Life Balance.
  • There was a book for husbands to stop beating up their wives. Imagine getting that for Christmas.
  • There was a pair of books by two faces I felt compelled to slap. A man, his perfect teeth and his wife with much hair. Too happy, slap slap. They also wanted to make my life better. Slap slap.
  • In autobiographies section, it seems like anyone can write. I remember many books about Obama, one from Steven Gerrard.
  • We crossed over to Cooking and I discovered anyone who's been on Discovery Travel and Living has got a book out. My dear Nigella had several. That ass Ramsey had a few too.
  • Sisilia then pondered submitting reports in a pink folder.
  • Nana next confessed to plastic wrapping her books a few years earlier to prevent them from damage.
  • I confessed to buying The Book Of Ingredients which is a picture encyclopedia of all foods. And I mean all - from animal parts to jams and pasta. So much fun to look at and imagine eating. I use it to identify spices my mother knows only the Punjabi/Malay/Tamil names of.
  • I went to pay and found a little fact book filled with precious gems like "What does 'Wuthering' mean?" and "What's the origin of cinnamon?". You could know all this for $12.30.
We left for dinner next.

Oh I ended up buying "MBA in 80mins". I'll be a master soon. Woof. At 25% off some more.

No comments: