Sunday 13 August 2006

My Favourite Music #001: U2 - The Joshua Tree

I think most of us in this part of the world only got wind of U2 the band when they made it big with this album (yes, they had Boy and The Unforgettable Fire, but hey I was only 12 and Singapore radio was all I had). With Or Without You was the song and my goodness, what an impact it had. Simple lyrics, full of meaning accompanied by stupefying guitar work. I scold people who don't hear out the song completely and advise them to give more respect to the Edge, and that if they can't 'feel' the energy in the closing arrangement, they're better off listening to Britney. Ok, I haven't scolded anyone as yet although I do make a face. The 'cringe' I call it. The 'WTF face' my friends call it.

After 20 years since it was released, I bought The Joshua Tree on CD from ST Music World at Shaw Tower for $12.90.

It is brilliant. 'I Still Haven't Found What I Am Looking For' still sends shivers. 'Bullet The Blue Sky' is a reminder of too much power/influence in the hands of one country.’ Mothers Of The Disappeared' is a reminder of the pain of having one's children taken away, through conflict, political struggle, by bad people with bad agendas. Bono wails quite a bit on this album. It lends to the desperate, painful air of some songs. It is a moving album if one truly takes the time to understand each song.

Many people wish that U2 would go back these epic times of Irish rock (not that I know many Irish artistes - Enya, Boyzone, Clannad, The Corrs) where music was devoid of electronics, lyrics pregnant with cause and we could see Bono's eyes. Well, all bands go through transitions and a little tête-à-tête with electronica and remixes is inevitable before one realises one's folly. Kidding. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was a rebirth wouldn't you say?

If you're wondering, this from Wikipedia - The name Joshua tree was given by a band of Mormons who crossed the Mojave Desert in the mid-19th century. The tree's unique shape reminded them of a Biblical story in which Joshua reaches his hands up to the sky. Here's more fun - Joshua Tree National Park.

Go buy it. Don't pirate-download.

No comments: