Sunday 1 April 2007

Clueless at 32

I was at this seminar where the MC said that the journey of a million miles starts with a single step, in the right direction. That last bit is perhaps the 2nd most important thing after finding the courage to begin the journey.

The right direction is a big question mark. Many people I know know what they want to achieve as they get older. They want better jobs, more money, family and kids. A car and big house. I'm 32 and I'm clueless. It's not an uncommon feeling friends have told me and the timing is about right - the 7-year itch from when I first jumped into viable employment. I have no goals apparently, and my insurance guy, who wants me to join him in his quest for a financially secure retirement playing golf at 55, told me off for this lack of personal direction. 'What do you want at 40? At 50? Kids, family, what?' It was a stressful, depressing evening.

He's right though. I need to know what I am here for. Not many people do. They live their lives as though it's natural and normal. Get up, go to work, make money for someone else, go home, wife+kids+TV, then the weekends - as if it is basic universal order of things. They may not be supremely content but at least sticking to the line helps them get through life without massive complications.

Most of us want money. Generally, money = happiness because money helps us do things like get a car and travel or buy shoes. I did a test with my insurance guy and money came in 4th in my list of preferred outcomes from my job. Number one was helping people, I think. During evaluation time, I told my bosses that the work I did was ok but didn't really get me all happy and excited, that the satisfaction wasn't really there. This yielded a pleasant intervention from the head honcho (but I had to turn him down for other reasons). So work is all kinda a little fuzzy. Not bad but a little fuzzy.

Looks like I got to sort things out.

3 comments:

Ruok said...

I gotta say, that even after u've sort it all out, life's still ain't a bed of thornless roses.

But at least you've got pretty flowers for company.

Mike Tan said...

Bra-the. Live like there's no tomorrow la! Now where got retire at 40 or 50... U gona work even when u hit 70 or 80 if u do live that long. Government oredi got problem about the old population. Better keep your the brain young and alert. Go GNC buy more brain cells vitamins to keep young and alert. Or play more mahjong. So your brain wouldn't lag later. And don't forget to eat more healthy food, exercise to look younger hor.

Anonymous said...

you are not alone gurms, i feel the same too... wat's my aim, wat am i working for? satisfaction, i think the drive died... or does it mean tat i'm not doing wat i should be doing? lotsa ????