Saturday 7 July 2007

The Biawak Barbeque

Last Saturday, I made my way to the mysterious Lorong Biawak to present myself at my new colleague's home for a delightful evening at a barbeque. Farah is the colleague and Iggy is her hubby, and they have a terrace home filled with animals. Yes, it is the animals you notice first mostly because the dogs jump at you first. I was warned that Farah had a veritable pet zoo at home. 5 cats and 3 dogs share the immense space with two humans. And of course the animals were delighted at more the prospect of more hands scratching them behind the ears.

I tripped into one of the 'isolated-to-the-front' dogs water bowls and made a mess on entry. What an impression. I was under threat of biteage. I was afraid. I shouldn't have been. I think the doggies could sniff out my love of canine and were merely excited.

In the back, plans with meat and charcoal were afoot. The party got underway when more office folks and other halves and friends arrived. The back of the terrace house is immense, something like 30 metres clear. The kitchen with a dining table are out back, perfect set up for a steaming June evening barbeque with the musical accompaniment of barking dog, Hunter.

The evening played out with burned hot dogs (not the pets), lovely wings, tender oven-baked lamb, juicy prawns, refreshing salad, pepper and melted cheese sandwiches. I was so full when I had to leave about 10-ish, being called away to another dinner-do at Bukit Timah.

Momentous! There will be calls for a repeat around Christmas for sure. Thanks Farah and Iggy!

No comments: