Thursday 8 November 2007

Diwali Discourse

The shoulder and neck are better. There is a twinge of pain still but enough for me to walk-run my usual and pull myself up 8 times. Not bad eh. I also went out in my Asics today because I started to feel the withdrawal symptoms of not exercising. I remember in an interview Henry Foo did for the hostel newsletter (Sixians who were in Hall 6 from 95-99 will remember the wunderkid) he mentioned that he needed to go sweat once a day, usually ending up at the basketball court. Am I turning into an athlete? Nah. But can I wear size 32 jeans. And I wanna keep it that way.

Diwali today. It ain't the Indian New Year by the way. One of ladies who sells bread at Bread Pitt (a stall that sells great buns and muffins at Maxwell Market) wished me "Happy New Year". I walked with a smile on my face but knew she was wrong and also that if I told her she was she may go back on the discount for the muffins I had bought (They are so good. The chocolate chip muffin is sent from heaven. Buy 5 for $6 and get 1 free).

Anyway, there are different interpretations for the Indian New Year. There's the Sikh Vashakhi which happens on April 13 to mark the initiation of the Sikh faith. It also coincides with harvest time. There's also a Hindu festival that is celebrated at the same time. Diwali or Deepavali has its basis in Hindu folklore where Rama rescued Sita from Ravana. The stories are actually quite interesting. There was a TV show on the Mahabaratha some year's ago, full of men in traditional garb with superpowers and defined objectives. It was quite fun especially because I could read the English subtitles.

There wasn't much to do today. I ate a lot of sugar and fried things at home. Traditional fare. More please.