Sunday 25 November 2007

Spicy Thursday

Gerald reminded me that I needed to go buy CDs to burn some files. Since there is only place to go to get technology of any kind, we met at Bugis one Thursday evening do the walk to Sim Lim Square. We asked the regulars whether they would be keen to do dinner of the spicy kind. Apparently, only Carolina was free and interested in hanging out with us men. From Bugis, we entered the dark underbelly of the neighbourhood - the market that is the alley. Recently upgraded to blow visitors away, we stood enthralled in the breeze generated by a giant, multi-blade contraption fixed 10 metres above us. It had good rpm and we understood why there were typhoons in the Indian and Pacific Oceans. Someone had disturbed the universal balance. Ok, that was over in 15 seconds.

At Sim Lim, we were quite chop chop. We lingered a little around at this shop that had iPods in displays right up along the walkway to attract Creative users. 8GB new one at $348. OK, next. We escalated to the 3rd floor and I entered the nearest shop with towers of shiny, blank CDs for sale. As I paying, I asked the lady if they sold USB lights. She looked at me funny and said "over there". I went over there and found China-made USB-powered LED illuminators. In response to question from Gerald which you also must be asking at this point in time of enjoying this verbose narrative, I replied I needed a USB light to plug into my Macbook to type in dark surroundings. Not dark dark but less than adequate illumination to see my black keyboard in low-light conditions (like when my living room light isn't behind me). Whatever. I asked to test it my selected model, the lady who took my money told me "Yes after you pay for it.". Errh?

So we were done. We took a bus one bus stop away to Tekka Market. We entered the hallowed halls of fine Indian cuisine at reasonable prices, Anand Bhavan (I think). (it's opposite the ATMs at Tekka Market). There I had the Onion Rawa and a Vadai which i split with Gerald who seemed less than content with his single plain Thosai. Carolina had two fried Pooris with potato masala and chickeas. Mmm mmm mmm. Topped off with a masala chicken thigh smothered in decadent red-orange creamy spices. Mmm mmm mmm.

That's it. Oh yah, there was some amazing IN-TUNNEL advertising featuring Bee Movie adverts between Little India and Dhoby Ghaut. Go check it out.

1 comment:

verywanderful said...

Next time you should try going into the tekka market, there are like about 4 Dum Briyani stores, 4 drinks stores selling the same thing! Must try is the Chendol drink! V V yummy, maybe I'm just sugar high.

Heehee <-- smile from ear to ear-->