Thursday 1 November 2007

Let Them Eat Cake, In Bangkok

One thing that amazes me about Bangkok is the extraordinarily consistently high standards of baked goods. I like my baked products so I am attracted to bakeries and such. The Gateaux House bakery on the ground floor at MBK is a good place to try the simplest yet tantalizing buns and cakes. Oh, the tau sar bun. Try the chocolate mouse cake (pix at bottom of article), a slice for 52THB. Good.

When we were lost around the Chao Phraya river area near the King's Palace in 2004, I spotted a table covered with thick cake slices on sale at the local roadside market, slices like we used to buy from local bakeries. Resistance proved futile at the sight of chocolate. The variety was astounding and the quality good. A slice for 10THB. In the middle of nowhere, cake. How comforting is that?

This time I made a similar discovery in Jatujak. Same thing, rows of eye-popping varieties of baked confection. Some with sprinkles and nuts, others plain or with simple icing. Aiyaiyai. I couldn't resist despite having had lunch less than an hour earlier. I got a chocolate sponge cake. At first bite, I knew this was a classic. Two soft sponge layers separated by sweet icing made with the right amount of chocolate. Each slice looked like the pictures you get on the boxes of cake mixes at NTUC. Perfection at its simplest and most enjoyable. I am a cake man.

We had three types of cake at the Sky Loft at Suvarnabhumi for dinner, before we Jetstarred home.



Someone told me that the smell of baked bread is the scent most attractive to men. Probably a maternal-family thing. Don't imagine Christian Dior coming up with a perfume called Buns anytime soon.

No comments: