Monday 28 January 2008

Djokovic and Tsonga Snipped! Abruptly!

I was spending a lot of time watching TV over the weekend because I have no life but mostly because I hurt my back. I was semi-prone in myriad positions on my daybed (perhaps this was the cosmic rationale for getting the lumbering piece of furniture) facing the 32inch fat TV. It was not too bad a time and it got better when I found out that Mediacorp TV5 was showing the Aussie Open Tennis Men's Singles Final live. Woohoo!

You see, I do not subscribe to the over-priced Sports group on cable TV. So a live sporting match was a gift for the Sunday back-broken sports-watcher. I joined the live match and I regret being late because it was the best tennis I had seen in a long, long while. Djokovic and Tsonga were so fast, so smooth, so much fun to watch as they ran across the hardcourt and sent balls flying at over 200km/h.

The commentators were making statements like: 'Don't take your eyes off the screen' 'Terrific tennis' 'I don't think this is a tennis ball, it's a ping pong ball.' 'How much did they pay for a seat the final? $200, $250? They've got their money's worth already.' (at 25mins into the final) 'You cannot take your eyes off this match for a second' 'This is startling tennis'. Seriously, I was gasping and squealing. Ahem.

At about 630pm, the channel from Asia's Terrestrial Broadcaster Of The Year flashes a super across the screen that states that they were going to show X-Men 2 at 645pm. They were going to cut a live match broadcast. That's it, no apologies. And they did it, at the top of Set 3 at set point. Like WTF.

Seriously bad planning man. Does anyone watch Grand Slam finals in Mediacorp, or rather Mediocrecrap? It usually lasts like 3 hours man. Damn disappointing.

So I did the next best thing - complain. Shot off an email to Mediocrecrap and CCed MDA. We'll see what happens.

No comments: