Wednesday 30 January 2008

Response From The Hill

I got a reply from Mediocrecorp (where every film screened is a TV premiere and good shows only come on at 11pm) about my email to them about the premature halt of the live broadcast of the Djokovic-Tsonga Aussie Open final. Basically, they said (not in exact words)
- they extended the broadcast to 655pm. Ahem, 10mins beyond the scheduled cutoff. That was so nice of them, wasn't it. They cut the feed before Djokovic served at set point 40-0. That point went on to 40-40. No one got to see it though.
- they took the initiative to do a delayed telecast. Hello, live sports is live sports.
- Channel 5 is for mass appeal, so adding in 'live' programming created implications on their schedule and “live” sport is an extremely complicated programming genre. Goodness. Since cable came on, apparently Channel 5 doesn't know how to handle 'live' programming. I suggest they cancel NDP since no one knows what could happen. I wonder if they are gonna show the Formula 1 race.
- they are sure to keep my feedback in mind in their future programming decisions. Thanks.

Part of my reply is as follows:
I can understand the programming pressures to cater to a large audience and advertisers. At the same time, it's important to consider the motivations behind viewership for 'live' sports. Perhaps greater thought could have gone into planning how the full match could have been shown live. If a 'live' broadcast can't be shown in its entirety, it is better not to show it at all than cut it midway. That's the point I am trying to make and I'm sure many sports fans would agree with me.

I got into ST online forum and the TODAY paper (PDF download) with this issue.

I am earning a reputation as a complainer or more colloquially complain king. Perhaps I'll end up in politics. Or just bitter.

1 comment:

Mike Tan said...

Haha. You again in TODAY. Keep it up bro, you have my support! Movie ticket going up again. More downloads less cinema.