Friday 14 December 2007

Home With A Tube Up The Nose

Alrighty then.

My dad's out of hospital. He's at home with a feeding tube down his right nostril and a bad shave. The feeding tube is for the liquid diet he has to be on for a while and the bad shave was TTSH nurses' idea of cleaning him up.

He hates the tube and on day one at home he cunningly pulled it out, the whole 40cm of plastic and rubber that was his lifeline. This was about 930pm after we fed him a whole 250ml tin of Glucerna, a liquid meal replacement thats a kcal an millilitre.

Now that's a tagline "A Kcal per ml". I have been thinking that its a good way to lose weight but that would take another blog post and perhaps require defense against supermodels, fitness centres and large people bent on maintaining the status quo.

Upon asking why he did pulled the tube, he replied "There was a snake up my nose." Cute and endearing, That put a funny spin on all the frustrations we were facing looking after an old man. It is terribly tiring looking after the elderly and I have mentioned before that somehow my mother seems to pull through it albeit with a lot of complaining.

The next morning, we called the Home Nursing Foundation to have someone come around and plug in another "snake" down my dad's throat. She came around 10ish and took $50, mostly for the new tube and other nurse-type things she had to do. By the next feeding, the tube was out again. The mittens and restraints were foiled by my daddy's deviousness. The nurse came around and took another $15. I think I'm gonna be broke.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.